The Public Health Law Center helps create communities where everyone can be healthy. We empower our partners to transform their environments by eliminating commercial tobacco, promoting healthy food, and encouraging active lifestyles.
Because we provide legal and strategic support to so many local and state health departments, health advocacy organizations, attorneys working on public health issues, and community coalitions across the country, we are helping drive many of the nation’s cutting-edge public health initiatives.
We believe that our legal knowledge can help bring justice to public health as we support our partners in reducing health disparities. When all people are healthier, the communities they live in are happier, safer, more vibrant places.
Founded in 2000, the Center is located at Mitchell Hamline School of Law in St. Paul, Minnesota.
Improving health through the power of law.
Our Services Include
- Helping our partners shape local, state, and national policies that prevent heart disease, cancer, lung disease, diabetes, and other chronic diseases.
- Creating publications, presentations, and resources that help others understand the legal opportunities and barriers to improve the nation's health.
- Bringing together and collaborating with the nation's leading public health experts to find strategic solutions to pressing health problems.
- Defensing groundbreaking new policies by assisting government attorneys and writing expert friend-of-the-court briefs in important legal cases.
- Tracking and interpreting public health laws in all 50 states.