Last Revised: 9/19/23
This Policy describes:
- The types of information we collect from you or that you may provide when you visit our website(s) available at: https://www.publichealthlawcenter.org/ as well as any websites and blogs directly owned by the Organization where this Policy is linked (collectively, our “Website”).
- Our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting, and disclosing that information.
This Policy applies to information we collect on the Website or in emails and other electronic messages between you and the Website, and information gathered when you interact with our advertising on third-party websites if such advertisements include links to this Policy.
This Policy does not apply to information collected by us offline or through any other means, including on any other website operated by any third party, or information collected by any third party through any application or content (including advertising) that may link to or be accessible from the Website (for further information, see below, “Third-party Websites”).
Please read this Policy carefully to understand our practices regarding your information and how we will treat it. If you do not agree with our policies and practices, then please do not use our Website. By using our Website, you agree to the terms of this Policy. This Policy may change from time to time (see below, “Changes to this Policy”). Your continued use of our Website after we make changes is deemed to be acceptance of those changes, so please check the Policy periodically for updates.
2. THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
Personal Information. To ensure that we provide you with the best possible experience, we will store, use, and disclose personal information about you in accordance with this Policy. Personal information is information that identifies, relates to, describes, references, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular user, household or device (“Personal Information”). The Personal Information that we may receive and collect depends on what you do when you visit our Website.
Aggregated and De-Identified Data. We may also collect, use and disclose aggregated and de-identified data such as statistical or demographic data for any purpose. Aggregated and de-Identified data could be derived from your Personal Information but is not considered Personal Information under applicable law as this data will not directly or indirectly reveal your identity. However, if we combine or connect aggregated or de-identified data with your Personal Information so that it can directly or indirectly identify you, we treat the combined data as Personal Information which will be used in accordance with this Policy.
Free-Text Boxes. The information that you provide in each case will vary. In some cases, you may be able to provide Personal Information via email or free text boxes, such as contacting the Organization to request further information. When providing your Personal Information, please provide only relevant information and do not provide unnecessary sensitive information, such as Social Security numbers, credit card information or other sensitive personal data, unless required for our services.
Recording Use of the Website. We partner with trusted third-party vendors to analyze performance and traffic of our Website. This may include things like buttons you click, mouse movements and other behavior on the Website, date and time of access, pages visited, web beacons, and cookie or pixel tag information. Please see our Automatic Information Collection section below to learn more about cookies, pixels tags, and analytic technologies.
(a) Information We May Collect on the Website.
You may have the opportunity to provide Personal Information on our Website, including but not limited to:
- Personal identifiers: first and last name; email address.
- Professional or employment related information: Current or past job history in relation to a resume.
We may obtain the Personal Information listed above from the following categories of sources:
- Directly from you. For example, when you:
- subscribe to one of our e-newsletters;
- submit a job application; or
- otherwise communicate with us, such as contacting us for more information.
- Indirectly from you. For example, through information we collect from you in the course of providing our services to you.
- Directly and indirectly from activity on our Website. For example, from Website usage details that are collected automatically. For more information on automatic information collection, please review the “Automated Information Collection” section below.
3. AUTOMATED INFORMATION COLLECTION
Website. In addition to the information that you provide to us, we may also collect information about you during your visit to our Website. We collect this information using automated tools that are detailed below. These tools may collect information about your behavior and your computer system, such as your internet address (IP Address), the pages you have viewed, and the actions you have taken while using the Website. Some of the tools we use to automatically collect information about you may include:
(a) Cookies. A “cookie” is a small data file transmitted from a website to your device’s hard drive. Cookies are usually defined in one of two ways, and we may use either (or both) of them:
(1) session cookies, which do not stay on your device after you close your browser, and
(2) persistent cookies, which remain on your device until you delete them or they expire.
We may use the following categories of cookies on our Website.
(i) Strictly Necessary Cookies. These cookies are essential in order to enable you to move around the Website and use its features. Without these cookies, services you have requested cannot be provided.
(ii) Performance Cookies. These cookies collect anonymous information on how you use our Website to help us understand how you arrive at our Website, browse or use our Website and highlight areas where we can improve, such as navigation. The data stored by these cookies never shows personal details from which your individual identity can be established.
(iii) Functionality Cookies. These cookies remember choices you make such as the country from which you visit our Website, your preferred language, and your search parameters. This information can then be used to provide you with an experience more appropriate to your selections and to make your visits to our Website more tailored to your preferences. The information in these cookies may be anonymized. These cookies cannot track your browsing activity on other websites.
(iv) Targeting Cookies or Advertising Cookies. These cookies collect information about your browsing habits in order to make advertising more relevant to you and your interests. They are also used to limit the number of times you see an advertisement as well as help measure the effectiveness of an advertising campaign. The cookies are usually placed by third-party advertising networks.These cookies remember the websites you visit and that information is shared with other parties, such as advertisers.
Of course, if you do not wish to have cookies on your devices, you may turn them off at any time by modifying your internet browser’s settings. However, by disabling cookies on your device, you may be prohibited from full use of the Website’s features or lose access to some functionality.
(d) Embedded Web Links. Links provided in our emails and, in some cases, on third-party websites may include tracking technology embedded in the link. The tracking is accomplished through a redirection system. The redirection system allows us to understand how the link is being used by email recipients. Some of these links will enable us to identify that you have personally clicked on the link and this may be attached to the Personal Information that we hold about you. This data is used to improve our service to you and to help us understand the performance of our marketing campaigns.
(e) Third-party Websites and Services. We work with a number of service providers of marketing communications technology. These service providers may use various data collection methods to improve the performance of the marketing campaigns we are contracting them to provide. The information collected can be gathered on our Website and also on the websites where our marketing communications are appearing. For example, we may collect data where our banner advertisements are displayed on third-party websites.
4. HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
The information we gather and that you provide is collected to provide you information and the services you request, in addition to various other purposes, including, but not limited to:
- security, credit or fraud prevention purposes;
- providing you with effective customer service, including monitoring, managing and updating your machines and products;
- providing you with a personalized experience when you use the Website;
- developing new products and services;
- contacting you with special offers and other information we believe will be of interest to you (in accordance with any privacy preferences you have expressed to us);
- contacting you with information and notices related to your use of the Website;
- inviting you to participate in surveys and providing feedback to us (in accordance with any privacy preferences you have expressed to us);
- better understanding your needs and interests;
- improving the content, functionality and usability of the Website;
- improving our products and services;
- improving our marketing and promotional efforts; and
- any other purpose identified at the point of data collection, in an applicable privacy notice, in a click-through agreement or in any other agreement between you and us.
Duration. The length of time Organization intends to retain Personal Information, including sensitive personal information, if any, is for as long as reasonably necessary to carry out Organization’s intended business purpose for such information.
5. HOW WE DISCLOSE YOUR INFORMATION
We do not sell or lease your Personal Information to any third party. We may disclose your Personal Information to a third party for a business purpose, including the following categories of third parties:
- Our Affiliates. We may disclose the information collected through the Website with our Affiliates in order to provide our products, services and effective customer support.
- Third-party Service Providers. We disclose Personal Information collected through the Website with third-party Service Providers who act for or on behalf of the Organization. These third parties may need information about you to perform their functions. “Service Providers” may include suppliers, dealers, distributors, companies and consultants that provide website hosting, software development, payment processing, website and data analytics, order fulfillment, information technology and related infrastructure support, customer service, email delivery, and auditing.
- In Aggregate or De-Identified Form. We may aggregate or otherwise anonymize the data we collect for purposes of analytics, research, marketing and other business interests of the Organization. Such use shall not include Personal Information or information that can identify you as an individual or reasonably be used to identify you.
Except as described in this Policy, we will not share your information with third parties without your notice and consent, unless it is under one of the following circumstances:
- Legal Reasons.
- We believe that disclosure is reasonably necessary to comply with any applicable law, regulation, subpoena, or court order;
- To respond to duly authorized information requests from law enforcement or other governmental authorities;
- To enforce our agreements or policies;
- To investigate and prevent security threats, fraud, or other malicious activity; or
- To respond to an emergency that we believe in good faith requires us to disclose such information to assist in preventing the death or serious bodily injury of any person or Organization employee.
- Sale of Business or Merger. There are circumstances where the Organization may decide to buy, sell, or reorganize its business. Under these circumstances, it may be necessary to disclose or receive Personal Information with prospective or actual purchasers, acquisition targets, partners or affiliates. In such circumstances, the Organization will ensure your information is used in accordance with this Policy.
6. YOUR CHOICES AND SELECTING YOUR PRIVACY PREFERENCES
We want to provide you with relevant information that you have requested. When possible, we will always provide options as to what information we collect and how you can manage any preferences that pertains to such information.
If we provide subscription-based services, such as email newsletters, we will allow you to make choices about what information you provide at the point of information collection or at any time after you have received a communication from us while you are subscribed. Transactional or service-oriented messages, such as delivery confirmation messages, are usually excluded from such preferences, as such messages are required to respond to your requests or to provide goods and services, and are not intended for the purposes of marketing.
From time to time, we may send you email newsletters and marketing emails. You may opt out of them at any time by selecting the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of each email. Please note that by opting out or unsubscribing you may affect other services you have requested we provide to you, in which email communication is a requirement of the service provided. Even if you opt-out of receiving marketing material, we may still need to contact you with important information about your account or responding to your requests or questions.
7. ACCURACY AND ACCESS TO YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We strive to maintain and process your information accurately. We have processes in place to maintain all of our information in accordance with relevant data governance frameworks and legal requirements. We employ technologies designed to help us maintain information accuracy on input and processing.
To view and change the Personal Information that you have provided to us, you can contact us directly for assistance.
8. INFORMATION OF MINORS
We do not knowingly collect or use information from individuals under the age of thirteen (13) without parental or guardian consent. We encourage parents and guardians to provide adequate protection measures to prevent minors from providing information unwillingly on the internet. If we are aware of any Personal Information that we have collected about minors under the age of thirteen (13) without parental or guardian consent, we will take steps to securely remove it from our systems.
9. THIRD-PARTY WEBSITES
10. YOUR RIGHTS UNDER STATE LAW
- Shine the Light law. Pursuant to California Civil Code Section 1798.83, we will not disclose or share your Personal Information with third parties for the purposes of third-party marketing to you without your prior consent.
- Do Not Track Signals. Other than as disclosed in this Disclosure, the Website does not operate any differently when it receives Do Not Track signals from your internet web browser.
- WE DO NOT SELL OR SHARE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION.
Your Consumer Rights.
Some state laws in the United States provide consumers with additional rights with respect to their personal information (also known as “personal data”), as those terms are defined under those applicable state laws. Such state laws may include, but are not limited to, the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018, as amended by the California Privacy Rights Act of 2020, the Colorado Privacy Act, the Connecticut Data Privacy Act, and the Virginia Consumer Data Protection Act. Any personal information we collect is collected for the commercial purpose of effectively providing our services to you, as well as enabling you to learn more about, and benefit from, our services.
If you are a consumer in a state that provides consumer rights, please be advised that Organization is not a “business” or “controller” as that term is defined under applicable state laws and therefore does not afford consumers these rights with respect to their Personal Information. Regardless, all Personal Information will be processed in accordance with this Policy.
11. LOCATION OF OUR WEBSITE AND SERVICES
We do not warrant or represent that this Policy or the Website’s use of your Personal Information complies with the laws of every jurisdiction. Furthermore, to provide you with our services, we may store, process, and transmit information in the United States and other locations around the world, including countries that may not have the same privacy and security laws as yours. Regardless of the country in which such information is stored, we will process your Personal Information in accordance with this Policy.
12. SAFEGUARDING THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We use reasonable technical, administrative, and physical safeguards in order to protect your Personal Information against accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure. However, we can never promise 100% security. If you believe your Personal Information has been compromised, please notify us immediately.
13. CHANGES TO THIS POLICY
14. HOW TO CONTACT US
We value your opinions and welcome your feedback. To contact us about this Policy or your Personal Information, please contact us at email@example.com.