State and Local Regulation of Menthol Tobacco Products
You are here
The popularity of menthol flavored tobacco products remains a public health concern throughout the U.S. This section contains several publications and resources that states and localities might find useful when considering policy options for regulating menthol flavored tobacco products. For additional information on regulating menthol tobacco products, visit our federal regulation of menthol section.
Check out these resources:
- Regulating Menthol Tobacco Products - Tips & Tools (2015). A guide to policy considerations in regulating menthol tobacco products at state and local levels.
- Regulating Menthol Flavored Tobacco Products: Lessons Learned (2015). Lessons from U.S. state and local governments that have regulated or attempted to regulate menthol flavored tobacco products.
- Chicago's Regulation of Menthol Flavored Tobacco Products: A Case Study (2015). The story of Chicago's 2013 adoption of an ordinance restricting the sale of all flavored tobacco products, including menthol, within 500 feet of any city school.
- Select Bibliography on Menthol Tobacco Products & Related Regulatory Resources (2015). A select compilation of recent scientific studies, advocacy resources, and similar material related to the regulation of menthol tobacco products.
- Cool, Minty & Toxic: What to Do About the Problem of Menthol in Tobacco Products (2014). Information and infographics on the adverse health impacts of menthol flavoring in tobacco products, and local and state options for regulating menthol tobacco products.
- Sample Language to Restrict the Sale of Flavored Tobacco Products, Including Menthol (2014). Sample language that a local government can adapt to restrict the sale of flavored non-cigarette tobacco products.
- Regulating Flavored Tobacco Products - Tips & Tools (2014). Pointers that communities and policymakers might want to consider in drafting and implementing policies that regulate flavored tobacco products.
- Model Resolution Requesting that FDA Prohibit Menthol as a Characterizing Flavor in Cigarettes (2015). Sample resolution to U.S. Food & Drug Administration requesting that the agency add menthol to the list of characterizing flavors that are prohibited as constituents or additives of cigarettes.
- Making a Move on Menthol: Regulating Flavored Tobacco Products in Your Community (2014). Archived recording and slides of a Consortium webinar that looks at the importance of addressing the problem of menthol tobacco products at the state and local level, summarizes the legal landscape regarding the regulation of these products, and provides lessons learned from two jurisdictions that have taken steps recently to address this problem: Hawaii, where an ultimately unsuccessful legislative bill would have prohibited the sale of all flavored tobacco products in the state; and Chicago, where the city passed an ordinance in 2013, restricting the sale of flavored tobacco products within 500 feet of all city schools.