On May 30th, 2023 Governor Tim Walz signed into law the bill to establish a legal adult-use cannabis market in Minnesota. The legislation is over 300 pages long and, in many respects, raises more questions than it answers about how the legal cannabis market will operate in Minnesota and the parameters for when, where, and how adult-use cannabis is allowed.
This 90-minute webinar will provide a 10,000 foot overview of the new law and will flag important timelines for when different aspects of the law go into effect. This primer on the law is intended to provide an overview to help the MPRC identify key issues for a series of follow up webinars to dig into the details. A follow-up survey will be conducted to solicit the priority areas that the prevention professionals would like to delve into.
Topics covered include:
• What products are legal now and will be legal in the future?
• Where can/can’t people use?
• State v. local regulation--Who’s in charge?
• How is adult-use cannabis taxed and where does the money go?
• Is there funding for prevention?
• Where can I find more information?
• What are the opportunities to shape implementation?
Rachel Callanan, Public Health Law Center
Kayla Baker, Regional Prevention Coordinator
Marisa Katz, Public Health Law Center
Funded by the MN Department of Human Services - Behavioral Health, Housing, and Deaf & Hard of Hearing Services Administration.